While copyediting focuses on grammar, punctuation, spelling and syntax, this is not the primary focus in developmental editing. Developmental editing focuses on the structure, organization and content of a book/document. This type of editor evaluates the book for its intended purpose in regard to readability and consistency of the language. All books/documents remain confidential. These will neither be shared nor shared without the author’s permission.
This package is suitable for the following documents:
- All genres of fiction/non-fiction, short stories and chapbooks. This further includes novellas and novelettes.
- Books for children and YA.
- Blog posts. (Include multiple blog posts in one document for easy editing.)
- Newspaper/magazine articles.
- Business documents (cover letters, press releases, speeches, etc.).
- Scripts for YouTube.
- Academic and non-academic essays (Please let me know which citation you’re using when you order.)
- Reviews: books, products, movies, etc.
- Content intended to be published via social media.
- One free revision.
Developmental editing includes:
- Evaluation of how the content fits together as a document.
- Assists with evaluating the order of information within the document. Is it presented in a logical form so that the reader can easily understand it?
- Checks for language and word choice, in addition to grammar, punctuation, spelling and syntax.
- Clarify all abbreviations, acronyms and/or jargon within the document.
- Helps writers identify their goals while further helping them improve his or her manuscript.
- Is all necessary information included, while all unnecessary or redundant information is deleted?
- Are all indexes, glossaries, appendixes and the table of contents useful to the reader? Is the information laid out well or is it scattered?
- Removal, the addition of or the rewriting of sentences.
- Expansion or reduction of paragraphs.
- Recommends sentences, paragraphs and/or chapters to be reordered in order to better clarify the overall message of the book/document.
- Recommends either the addition or deletion of subplots in order to help the author move his or her story forward.
- Asks questions to help the author clarify information in the story, thus allowing the author the ability to express their story more effectively.
- Reading the book/document for clarity and organization to ensure that the content flows easily for the easily. Minor changes concerning grammar, punctuation, spelling and syntax will be suggested to the author.
- Rewrites sentences and/or paragraphs to improve the author’s story. All changes will be author-approved before they are placed into the document.
This package further includes the following in regard to fiction and non-fiction:
- CHARACTERS: evaluation of character descriptions, goals and/or motivations; actions and reactions of characters; strengths/weaknesses of the protagonist, antagonist and supporting characters; how the antagonist is presented in the story; whether the characters fit in well with the genre/era, etc.
- CONFLICT: analyzing whether story conflict is realistic for the protagonist; determining whether the conflict is overdone or not written well; assisting the author in adding in variations of conflict; analyzing whether there is internal conflict and external conflict for the character(s); determining if the conflict is realistic and authentic for the setting, etc.
- DIALOGUE: evaluation if dialogue is authentic or too predictable; assessing whether dialogue fits a character and/or the setting; evaluating if the dialogue is appropriate for the character; analyzing if dialogue hints at character descriptions, character actions and/or character gestures; assisting with the removal, addition of or editing of dialogue tags, etc.
- PLOT: evaluating whether the plot is strong enough to carry through to the last page; reviewing if there are too many (or too few) sub-plots; assisting the author with the hook, inciting incident, plot points, climax and resolution; assessing whether the plot is engaging to the reader; checking that all plot threads are resolved by the end of the story, etc.
- POINT OF VIEW: determining the narrator in the author’s story and how it affects how the story is written; assessing if the POV character knows too much – or too little – for their role in the story; assisting writers who write in opposite points of view; helping writers determine a suitable POV for their story; assisting writers in using POV to reveal story details, etc.
- SCENE, SEQUEL & STRUCTURE: determining whether the story is moving too fast or too slow for its genre; checking for consistencies (and inconsistencies) in regard to plot, characters, dialogue, setting, etc.; assisting the author in strengthening scenes and/or sequels by either writing or rewriting passages; analyzing a scene to ensure it is moving the story forward; assessing whether each chapter has an event or occurrence which is consistent to the story, etc.
- SETTING: determining the level of description in regard to setting – whether it is too specific or too vague; assessing if the setting is appropriate for the genre/era; how the setting impacts the characters and their actions; how the setting moves the story forward; analyzing how well the setting is researched for the reader, etc.
- SYMBOLISM/THEME: assuring symbolism is used correctly for the genre/era or in regard to the object in question; analyzing whether the story’s theme is appropriate for the particular age group/genre; helping the author sharpen their theme through research and brainstorming; assessing if the author’s theme is a suitable fit for the book’s genre; assisting the writer in developing their theme by either writing (or rewriting) passages; etc.
|Word Count||Delivery Speed||Price||Delivery Time|
|1 - 1,000||Regular|
|1,001 - 2,500||Regular|
|2,501 - 5,000||Regular|
|5,001 - 10,000||Regular|
|10,001 - 15,000||Regular|
|15,001 - 25,000||Regular|
|25,001 - 50,000||Regular|
|50,001 - 75,000||Regular|
|75,001 - 100,000||Regular||$750||21 days|
|100,001 - 150,000||Regular||$1,000||30 days|
**Please contact me if you have documents/books larger than 150,000 words. All documents should be sent in either .doc or .docx format. I use Microsoft track changes.
**Please be aware this package does not include manuscript formatting.
Note: Delivery time includes the time of which I start work on your document. All holidays, nights and weekends are excluded from delivery time. Please contact me prior to ordering. One week is equivalent to five business days (Mon-Fri). I am in the Central Time Zone of the United States.